Wearing braces is a part of the path to getting the smile you deserve! Along that path you must learn to care for your braces, in order to be proud of your smile!
But how do you keep your teeth clean with braces? Or, what’s the best toothpaste to use when wearing braces?
These are excellent questions for anyone in Niagara who just got braces and Dr. Kamatovic has the answers for you. He and his professional team will make getting braces in Niagara easy when you b
Keeping Teeth White With Braces
Once you begin orthodontic treatment, you should consider and try to remember these 10 tips for keeping teeth clean with braces. Because oral hygiene is so very important!
1. One Tooth at a time. Brushing is important, so don’t rush it! Take time with each individual tooth. Hint: Pay careful attention to the spots where your teeth touch your braces!
2. It’s all about the angles. Brush the tops of your teeth and braces with your brush angled down toward where they meet. Brush the bottoms of your teeth and braces with your brush angled up.
3. Don’t Forget the Rest of The Tooth! While the front surface of your teeth may seem like the most logical to clean, we mustn’t forget about the tongue side (the inner surface) as well.
4. Eat, Brush, Repeat! While in treatment, it is very important to brush after every meal. Bits of food can get caught between your braces, which can eventually cause tooth decay if left behind. To prevent this from happening, brush, brush, brush!
5. Be prepared. Tip #4 and #5 go hand in hand because in order to brush after every meal, you must be prepared! The easiest way to be sure you can brush your teeth after eating every time, is to pack along a toothbrush, toothpaste and even some floss! We know that it may be impossible to remember all the time, so if you do forget, make sure you at least rinse your mouth after eating!
6. Remove the moving parts: If you have rubber bands, remove these parts before you brush or floss so their are no obstacles during the process.
7. Fluoride is a friend, not a foe! Fluoride helps prevent cavities. Using a toothpaste with flouride is the way to go. Use mouthwash as well!
8. Use Your Pointy Brush: Yes, the pointy brush, also called the interproximal brush, it is a handy utensil for reaching spots around your braces that your normal brush can’t get to. The pointy brush normally saves the day when something is stuck or any plaque is building up near your braces. Use it!
9. Floss, Floss, Floss. In order to keep those pearls white, you must floss! Find the floss that works for you! Regular floss or maybe even a floss threader, nonetheless always make sure you floss. Doing so gets into the narrow spaces of your teeth that your brush can miss.
10. Make Time For Your Orthodontist: Remember all 9 tips above for your at home care, but remember #10 too. Visiting your orthodontist regularly, ensures that your treatment is going as planned!
Where to Get Braces in St. Catharines, Niagara Falls & Welland
Your certified Niagara orthodontist can answer any questions you have along the way, give you some tips for caring for your braces, and overall make your orthodontic treatment go as smoothly as possible.
At Kamatovic Orthodontics, we take pride in the smiles we create. We offer a no cost consultation and no dentist referral is necessary.
At consultation, Dr. Kamatovic will review your medical history and conduct an oral and facial exam. The exam will then be followed by a discussion of your concerns and treatment plan. Make an appointment for a free consultation today!